Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Chocolate Pecan Pie

Every year for Thanksgiving, I make some version of an apple pie for dessert (caramel apple pie, apple crunch pie, apple crisp, etc.).  This year, we made apple cinnamon coffee cake for breakfast and tried a new pie, grain-free pecan pie!  Yum!  And it was simple to make!

Pie Crust:
2 cups almond meal/flour (I used Trader Joe's brand but I am sure others would work too)
2 Tbsp. melted coconut oil
1 organic egg
sprinkle sea salt

*My food processor broke so this was the fun part, where my daughter and I squished the dough and mixed into a ball.  Then, press the dough into a 9 inch pie dish (do not go up to high on the sides).

Filling:
3 organic eggs
1 cup coconut sugar (I used a bit less actually)
2 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
1 cup chocolate chunks (I used Enjoy Life brand)
2 cups whole, raw pecans

*Using a hand mixer, combine the eggs, coconut sugar, and coconut oil until well blended. 
*Stir in the chocolate chunks and pecans using a spatula.
*Pour filling into unbaked crust and bake at 350 degrees for about 40-50 min. (mine was 45 minutes exactly).
*Allow to cool before devouring (and try not to sneak any of the sweet pecans off the top)!

This was so simple to make, using healthier ingredients and so tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment