Search This Blog

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Blender Batter Waffles

A friend of mine found this recipe and shared it with me. I of course altered it to what we had in our cupboards and to our personal taste, but it was a very quick, yummy breakfast! You do all the mixing in a blender, so it's easy clean up as well!

1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup almond milk (you could use rice milk, coconut, milk, greek yogurt, etc.)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup uncooked whole oats (any combination of flours or grains-brown rice, buckwheat, coconut, whole wheat-I just happened to have lots of oats on hand)

1. Blend on high for 3 minutes (less if you have a Vita-Mix) streaming in extra almond milk to proper consistency. The recipe also stated that you should cover and leave at room temperature overnight to soak up nutrients, but I just made it all this morning.

Then add:

1 egg
1 tbsp MILA (Chia Seed)
Possibly extra almond milk

2. Blend 1-3 more minutes.

Then add:
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

3. Blend for another 30 seconds. Then, bake in a hot waffle iron using non-stick olive oil or coconut oil spray. My waffle iron uses about 2/3 cup batter per waffle.

This batch made two plain waffles, then I added 3 tbsp. raw peanut butter/almond butter and blended that in to make my hubby some peanut butter waffles. I topped my plain waffle with raw maple syrup and fresh blueberries, while he topped his with raw honey and berries! This is definitely a treat meal, but it was awesome for a Sunday family morning. Plus, it only took 15 minutes total to prepare. I can't wait to try them again adding new and different things each time!

1 comment:

  1. MMMMMM,..Your waffles sound so good & tempting to me!!


    Yummie waffles!

    ReplyDelete