Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Crispy Chicken Nuggets

Do your kids love chicken nuggets or fast food? Well, here's a recipe to make them happy and keep them healthy too! My 3 year old has never had McDonald's and she has never had a chicken nugget either, she eats grilled and roasted chicken better than many adults but she loved these nonetheless. She kept telling me how she'd never tried nuggets before, but she liked these nuggets...she also asked if they were healthy (she is well-trained)! I also do an in-home daycare and have a few very picky eaters who don't often eat any of the healthy options I offer them, but even they were excited to try these, even though they weren't greasy pieces of fast food chicken!

1 lb free-range, hormone free chicken (I bought tenderloins and kept them in big pieces, but you could cut them small into nugget shapes as well)
2 cups organic brown rice crisps cereal (I got this at Valley Natural Foods, but Whole Foods also has this)
1/2-1tsp. seasoning (I used sea salt, pepper, cumin, garlic, and some chicken seasoning)
1 whole egg
1 egg white
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk

First, place the brown rice crisp cereal and seasoning in a food processor until desired consistency, I made mine fairly smooth. Then, prepare egg wash by using the whole egg, the egg white, and the almond milk and mixing together. Begin the dipping process: Egg, Cereal, Egg, Cereal (I dipped twice in each to make sure I coated them well and they were nice and crispy). Then, place them on a greased baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for ten minutes on each side! Serve with organic ketchup or barbeque sauce (or plain) and lots of fresh veggies (or maybe some roasted sweet potato fries)! Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment