Search This Blog

Friday, April 12, 2013

Turkey Stuffed Squash and Peppers

I am not a big squash fan or a pepper fan but I do love to try new things and eating grain-free is always a healthy option so here's a new one.  My daughters and I liked it a lot, but my husband LOVED it and said I can make it every week!  I actually think next time I might try peppers for hubby and buy some giant mushrooms to stuff for me!

Acorn Squash-halved and seeded
2 peppers (hubby said yellow was awesome)
1 lb ground turkey
3 large carrots, shredded in the food processor
1 cup mushrooms, diced
1 apple, cored and diced in tiny pieces
1 egg
"breadcrumbs"
-1/2 cup almond meal
-1/4 cup golden flaxseed meal
-1 tsp. garlic (either fresh diced, powder, or I used dried)
-1/2 tsp. onion powder
-1/2 tsp. Thyme
-1/2 tsp. Oregano
-1 tsp. sea salt
-1/2 tsp. ground pepper
-1/2 tsp. ground sage
(all approximate)
optional: Parmesan (I did not use)

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place the cut, seeded squash face down in 1/4 inch water in large baking dish.  Bake for about 40 minutes or until slightly soft.
2.  While the squash is baking, brown ground turkey, mushrooms, and shredded carrots in a large saucepan until browned and veggies are well cooked.  You can season this if you like, but the breadcrumb mixture adds lots of flavors.
3.  When the meat/veggies are almost done, add the diced apples for the last 3-5 minutes.  When done, remove from heat.  Cut open the tops of 2 peppers during this time as well (they do not need to precook.
4.  Add the "breadcrumbs" mixture into the pan as well as 1 egg and mix thoroughly.
5.  Once the squash are done, flip right side up and dump water our of pan.  Fill center of each squash with meat/breadcrumbs mixture, then using leftover...
6.  Fill the two peppers with the mixture as well.  Place all face up in a baking dish and bake for an additional 20-30 minutes or until brown and slightly crispy on top.
Enjoy!

Another way to make this, same inside, stuffing portabella mushrooms and green peppers!


No comments:

Post a Comment