Search This Blog

Friday, August 20, 2010

Eggplant Lasagna

This is one of my hubby's favorite meals! It is fairly simple to make and it also tastes great left over! I usually buy two or three eggplants so that we have leftovers. I am working on creating a yummy homemade spaghetti sauce, but until then I use a jar! I have also seen similar variations with zucchini added as well, so be creative and have fun with it.

1 jar Spaghetti Sauce (I use Bertolli's Organic-you can find it almost anywhere)
1 lb ground beef or bison (make sure it is grass-fed and good quality)
Several mushrooms diced
2-3 eggplants
Raw Mozzarella Cheese (I use organic valley brand or any other organic, raw brand)

1. Peel the eggplant and cut off both ends. Slice the eggplant the long way into this pieces (mine are usually about 1/4 inch thick but you can choose how you want it). Lay out a paper towel on the counter and cover with fresh ground sea salt. Spread the eggplant slices on the towel and cover with more sea salt. Cover with another paper towel and place a plate or dish on top to add weight. Leave this sit for about 30 minutes while you make the sauce. This softens the eggplant and makes it more 'noodle-like.'
2. Brown the beef or bison with the dices mushrooms. Add sauces and simmer so sauce can thicken. Add sea salt or any other Italian spices you prefer (we love basil added to our sauce).
3. Shred the raw mozzarella to prepare to build your mini-lasagna.
4. After eggplant has soaked in sea salt for at least 30 minutes, layer the lasagna. I usually make several mini-lasagnas that are each three layers thick. Start with eggplant, then add I large scoop meat sauce, then sprinkle mozzarella (you don't need much cheese since the raw mozzarella has such a nice flavor), eggplant, sauce, mozzarella, eggplant, sauce, mozzarella. When I made it this week, I had 3 small eggplants and it made four mini-lasagnas (perfect for dinner one night and lunch the next day).
5. Bake the lasagna at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until cheese is light brown and bubbly.

Enjoy!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment