Search This Blog

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Spicy Chili

Well, the weather is starting to cool down a bit, so last night I decided to make some homemade chili. I like things spicy, but you could make it however you want it.

1 lb grass-fed ground beef (or turkey)
1 can chili beans (you could also use dried beans, but I had a can in the cupboard, so I chose that)
5-7 medium, fresh tomatoes-dice
Sea Salt
Basil
Garlic
Onion Salt
Chili Powder
Chili 9000 seasoning (Penzeys Spices makes some yummy mixes-http://www.penzeys.com/)
Shredded Organic, Raw Sharp Cheddar Cheese

1. In one pan, brown the ground meat with a bit of chili powder on it.
2. While the meat is browning, dice and saute' the tomatoes with some basil, garlic, onion salt, and sea salt until the tomatoes are soft and break apart easily.
3. Add the chili beans (kidney, black, and pinto beans) to the tomato mixture.
4. Once the meat is browned, drain it and add to the tomato mixture.
5. Season with 2-3 TBLS of Chili 9000 and anything else you like to add for flavor.
6. Bring to a boil, then simmer for at least 1 hour. Top with shredded cheddar and enjoy!

I am already thinking this will be great on a Sunday watching some football! You could add or take away any spices depending on your taste. You can also use canned diced tomatoes, but we have been buying such tasty fresh ones at the farmer's market that I couldn't resist. Of course, you could add diced onions and peppers if you want a little more flavor as well. I like it simple and fresh! Unfortunately, we liked it so much that there wasn't much left over so next time I think I'll make a double-batch!

No comments:

Post a Comment