Search This Blog

Friday, August 26, 2011

Creamy Chicken Brocolli Casserole

We don't eat many creamy dishes because we don't eat much dairy, but a friend posted this and I had to try it...plus, it's healthy! My husband and I really enjoyed it, but my daughter just thought it was ok (she isn't used to creamy things and said she would have rather had "regular chicken and brocolli"). I am also thinking of using this main idea to make a healthy green bean casserole for Thanksgiving Dinner!

3 chicken breasts (or, you could use leftover whole chicken from a roasted chicken)
2 heads broccoli (the farmer's market have a lot lately)
1 small onion, diced
2 cups sliced mushrooms (I used regular and portabello, but any would be tasty)
1 Tbsp. organic butter
1/3 jar grapeseed oil vegenaise (Whole Foods or Valley Natural-Refrigerated)
4-6 oz raw, organic jack cheese (shredded)
1 cup raw almonds, shredded

1. Season (sea salt, pepper, oregano, garlic, etc.) and cook the chicken-I baked it in the oven or you could grill it. Dice into bite sized pieces.
2. Steam the broccoli and set aside.
3. Saute the onions and mushrooms in the butter (you could also throw in carrots, zucchini, or anything else you like).
4. In a large bowl, mix the vegenaise and most of the jack cheese together well. Add in the chicken, cut broccoli, and onion/mushroom mixture.
5. Pour the contents into a medium to large casserole pan and top with shredded almonds (I food processed them) and the remaining handful of cheese.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

I think you could also add any vegetable or add brown rice or brown rice pasta if you wanted, but I thought it was quite tasty as it was. The almonds gave it a nice sweet crunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment